photo credit: Rescue in Jackson, Kentucky. Photograph: Leandro Lozada/AFP/Getty Images
Calling on Support for Flooding in Central Appalachia
Over 1,500 Kentuckians and Virginians have been rescued by boat and helicopter, and hundreds of unaccounted for. Housing and critical infrastructure have been swapped away. The recent flash flooding in Eastern Kentucky and South West Virginia weighs heavy on our hearts. Our communities, partners, and friends are grappling with the devastation and loss of loved ones.
Thank you to all the organizations and individuals who have set up mutual aid funding. Many resources are pouring in, and this will be a long-haul recovery process. Below is a list of current mutual aid funding resources that we know will make it into the hands of the community members who need it the most. If we have missed any resources, please let us know.
Mutual Aid Donations & Assistance Resources
- Southern Appalachian Mountain Stewards, Lonesome Pine Mutual Aid – funds go directly to support SW Virginia flood relief efforts
- Appalachian Citizen’s Law Center
- eKy Mutual Aid Flood Relief
- Letcher County Flood Relief Amazon List (facilitated by Appalshop staff and eKy Mutual Aid)
- Appalachian Social Club Mutual Aid via PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org – funds go directly to support SW Virginia flood relief in Dickenson, Buchanan, and Russell counties and the Town of Pound
- Hindman Settlement School Flood Relief Donation Form and Amazon List
- Cowan Community Center Fund – funds support direct aid through CANE Kitchen, Cowan Community Center, and the Whitesburg Farmers Market
- Foundation for Appalachian Kentucky Appalachian Crisis Fund – also accessible at bit.ly/AppCrisisAid
- Team EKY Flood Relief Fund – also accessible at TeamEKYFloodReliefFund.ky.gov
- You may also donate by mailing a check to Public Protection Cabinet, 500 Mero Street, 218 NC, Frankfort, KY 40601
- Church of God Worship Center, PayPal: email@example.com or Text to Give: Just TEXT the word GIVE to 833-424-0740 and follow the instructions provided with the link on the return text!