RECLAIM Act advocates from across the country kicked off summer with a grassroots lobby trip to Washington, DC.
This is another trip in a series of actions and events over the past several seasons to urge Congress to pass the RECLAIM Act. The trip was successful in building leadership and relationships with communities impacted by the coal industry. It was an important opportunity to show support for the bill. Members of the Alliance for Appalachia were among those that attended on behalf of their communities and member organizations including – Kentuckians for the Commonwealth (KY), Statewide Organizing for Community eMpowerment (TN), AppalachianVoices, and Southern Appalachian Mountain Stewards (VA).
By the numbers:
- 20 volunteers from communities that would be directly impacted by this bill traveled from 8 key states (CO, IL, OH, PA, KY, WV, VA & TN),
- 10 staff from the National RECLAIM Working Group members, attended over 70 meetings with Congressional leaders and garnered at least 4 new cosponsors bringing the total up to 45 cosponsors on the bill.
- Supporters sent over 5,500 messages to Members of Congress asking them to cosponsor the #RECLAIMAct.
Let’s keep the pressure on!
Here’s a roundup of some of the media published around the trip. Tag your representatives and community leaders so they seem them!
- “We are pleading at this time for @senatemajldr to join this fight for us, to be our voice and to move this legislation along.” Read more about @AngieHatton16’s fight for the #RECLAIMAct in @WFPLNews: https://wfpl.org/kentucky-state-rep-pleads-congress-for-aid-to-clean-up-coal-counties/
- Kentucky State Rep. @AngieHatton16 is fighting for Appalachia and to pass the #RECLAIMAct — read more from @WFPLNews: https://wfpl.org/kentucky-state-rep-pleads-congress-for-aid-to-clean-up-coal-counties/
Appalachian News (Kentucky):
- “There’s really no reason to delay this bill.” Read why coal-impacted communities are working hard to pass the #RECLAIMAct in @AppalachianNews: http://www.news-expressky.com/news/article_a1cdc770-92df-11e9-8cc7-17fd074f36a6.html
- @AngieHatton16 is right: There are “so many possibilities” for economic growth to help the Appalachian area with the #RECLAIMAct after the impacted areas are cleaned. Read more from @AppalachianNews: http://www.news-expressky.com/news/article_a1cdc770-92df-11e9-8cc7-17fd074f36a6.html
Citizen’s Voice (Pennsylvania)
- “You can find people who will show you local streams that are as orange as a traffic cone. That’s the color of the water in those streams. They have been fouled by abandoned coal mines.” Read why @RepCartwright supports the #RECLAIMAct in @citizensvoice: https://www.citizensvoice.com/news/lawmakers-promoting-bill-to-speed-up-funding-to-reclaim-mine-land-1.2498383
- New coverage of the #RECLAIMAct in Pennsylvania’s @citizensvoice: https://www.citizensvoice.com/news/lawmakers-promoting-bill-to-speed-up-funding-to-reclaim-mine-land-1.2498383
Herald Dispatch (West Virginia)
- “In West Virginia and surrounding states, reclaimed coal mines have become athletic fields, industrial sites, fishing lakes, hiking trails, vineyards, and retail sites. Reclamation works. And, so will RECLAIM.” #RECLAIMAct Read more @heralddispatch: https://www.herald-dispatch.com/opinion/voice-of-the-people/article_ea46b63e-c796-516d-84c3-c2718b01c5b9.html
Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (Colorado)
- “It’s something we hope Colorado’s congressional delegation will take a close look at for the benefit of…counties where mining has a murky future if it hasn’t ended already.” New editorial supporting the #RECLAIMAct in @DailySentinelGJ: https://www.gjsentinel.com/opinion/editorials/coal-s-last-gasp/article_bf575bda-93d9-11e9-a9c6-20677ce06c14.html
- Read the new editorial in @DailySentinelGJ in Colorado supporting the #RECLAIMAct and the work of @WestCOAlliance: https://www.gjsentinel.com/opinion/editorials/coal-s-last-gasp/article_bf575bda-93d9-11e9-a9c6-20677ce06c14.html
Montrose Press (Colorado)
- “The coal miners have served our communities and boosted health, wealth and wellbeing. It’s time we support them.” Read why local communities support the #RECLAIMAct in Colorado and across the country in @montrosepress: https://www.montrosepress.com/news/locals-lobby-for-mine-reclamation-funds-in-d-c/article_0f24fc6e-9379-11e9-8132-63a9fb755662.html
- “The RECLAIM Act is important for transitioning communities … and creating an economic future for small towns and cities like us.” Read more about the #RECLAIMAct and why it has bipartisan support for coal communities in @montrosepress: https://www.montrosepress.com/news/locals-lobby-for-mine-reclamation-funds-in-d-c/article_0f24fc6e-9379-11e9-8132-63a9fb755662.html