We are a regional alliance with the following goals:
- ending a devastating form of coal mining called mountaintop removal coal mining,
- putting a halt to destructive coal technologies, and
- creating a sustainable, just Appalachia.
We believe that our campaign to abolish mountaintop removal mining is an important element of the national effort for progressive, systemic change in our nation’s economic, energy, and environmental policies. By working in coalition to highlight and organize against the dangers and true costs of our dependence on coal, we can help move the nation away from our current extraction economy and toward a new ethic of whole and healthy communities.
Our work is founded on these beliefs:
- -Mountain people are experts of their own lives
- -All people should have a seat at the table in determining the future of their communities
- -Regional collaboration strengthens political power built locally
- -Systemic change is necessary to achieve justice in our region
The Alliance for Appalachia envisions a world in which the residents of mountain communities are able to determine the futures of their communities. Where political discourse is public, is welcomed, is impactful, and is free of corporate interests. We envision a world in which all people have access to clean water, clean air and a healthy land base--and a world in which these resources are owned and shared locally. We envision a world in which successful development is measured by the degree to which local economies are robust and lasting, and in which diversity, collaboration, safe working conditions and self-empowerment are pillars of those economies.